>


Blog to support the book "Creatively Self-Employed: How Writers and Artists Deal with Career Ups and Downs" by Kristen Fischer

Tuesday, August 03, 2010

You know how I'm always preaching about being practical when it comes to a creative career? Well, I'm not the only one!

Check out this article on ABC from freelance guru Michelle Goodman:

I've always objected to the notion that you need to take a year off to write a novel, paint a mural or record an album. Likewise, I'm equally bothered by the assertion that an artist with a day job is a sellout. Eating is a noble pursuit. So is learning valuable business skills you can apply to hawking your own creative wares. Don't get me wrong. I'm all for creative endeavors, be they full time or on the side. But I'm also for living like a grown-up, as opposed to, say, couch surfing or subsisting on Ramen-ketchup casserole indefinitely.


Read the rest here.


link | posted by Kristen at 9:08 AM |


Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

0 Comments:

Want to Post a Comment?