>


Blog to support the book "Creatively Self-Employed: How Writers and Artists Deal with Career Ups and Downs" by Kristen Fischer

Tuesday, July 06, 2010























Photo: Elise Blaha


Even though I'm not the "pusher" I once was, I still get a "high" when I accomplish something.

That thing lately has been a proposal for an article I pitched to a huge women's magazine. The editor liked the idea and said it may be a stretch but I was welcome to send a more detailed pitch. This involved conducting some interviews, which I normally don't do until I've secured a piece and am guaranteed that I'll get paid for the work.

But something inside of me said to go for it Because if I could get this and "break" into this market, that will be huge.

So here's hoping.

I wrote my proposal tonight, proofread it, had my husband proofread it, and will proof it again. Then, it's off. Into the big universe where hopefully, this is it.

This isn't the first time I've had some interest in my work. But last time, my ideas got lost in an editor's inbox, and then another editor came along and changed the "direction" of the magazine...so that momentum seems to be gone. But I'm not giving up hope. I have some contacts and connections there.

And, now, maybe here, at this magazine.

Things have been strange lately. I'm not bogged down with a huge load of work and it's making me feel shaky and unsure of myself at times. I try to push that doubt aside, because I'm fine. I'm making bills and succeeding. And the time not spent on those projects I'd otherwise be bitching about can be spent on the things I really love--books and magazines. So I'm trying to embrace that.

Wish you well, little query proposal. Come back with a big win for mommy!


link | posted by Kristen at 8:07 AM |


Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

0 Comments:

Want to Post a Comment?