>


Blog to support the book "Creatively Self-Employed: How Writers and Artists Deal with Career Ups and Downs" by Kristen Fischer

Tuesday, October 27, 2009


Fab photo from http://www.gipsylife.com


Trying to get published in a magazine (or to get a book published, for that matter) is like banging one's head on a wall. Even if you're a fantastic writer, it takes work to hit pitches and timing just right. It's kinda like mindreading but no one ever gives you any sort of clue.

So that's where I am creatively. I am making more time to do the things that I enjoy and making time to focus on the creative work in my heart (magazine writing) but still hitting walls. I have had a couple of breakthroughs, some great contacts and now I wait to see if some pitches can make it to Round 2. At least I've made it to Round 2. A few years back, I couldn't get an editor to even respond.

Still, this work is hard. Hard because I must have my scheduled clear to brainstorm and write out the queries. The queries don't take long to write at all, and a big mag editor says mine are great. It's the time to come up with ideas, finding time to sit down uninterrupted and taking time to blast out these letters.

It's frustrating.

I'm making it happen, but it's frustrating.



What aspect of your creative dream is challenging you the most right now?


link | posted by Kristen at 1:08 PM |


Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

0 Comments:

Want to Post a Comment?