>


Blog to support the book "Creatively Self-Employed: How Writers and Artists Deal with Career Ups and Downs" by Kristen Fischer

Friday, May 08, 2009

You know I'm a sucker for the honest and the raw--that was the whole impetus behind releasing Creatively Self-Employed.

So when I saw a recent blog post by Ali Edwards, I had to feature it. She talks about creative fears: You know, those insecurities you may never want to fess up to because you feel grateful enough to be doing what you love.

Some of her fears include:
1. Messing up.
2. Thinking this is the one and only chance to tell this story so it simply must be perfect.
3. People not appreciating what we create.
4. Being seen as selfish or extravagant for indulging yourself in your creative endeavor.
5. Not getting anything done.

So I decided to make my own Top 5 List of Creative Fears...and here goes:
1. Not accomplishing my goal of getting published in a top womens glossy magazine. Being ripped up and red-penned when I do get published in said magazine.
2. Losing steam and letting my entire business fail. (But really, how can I lose steam?)
3. Having clients not like my copywriting work.
4. Not being able to get a solid idea to publish my third book and not publishing another book. Being thought of as a failure for not continually putting out books.
5. Not having time to do creative fun things (painting, beading, art journaling) and becoming uninspired.

It's liberating typing out these fears. It really is.

So I dished. Ali dished.

Now it's time for you...what are your creative fears??


link | posted by Kristen at 5:20 AM |


Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

2 Comments:

Blogger Lori commented at 5:46 AM~  

GREAT post, Kristen. Fear stifles us. It makes us accept less than we're worth, too.

I don't know about you, but I still get this pang when a client fusses about something, even if I know it's not me. :)

Blogger Kristen commented at 7:15 AM~  

I know what you mean. I get to the point where a revision doesn't anger me or weaken me or make me bust into tears, but it sometimes still makes me feel like I should do better.

But when you think about it, everyone has different opinions and ways of doing things. So it's so natural that they may not like everything.

Want to Post a Comment?