>


Blog to support the book "Creatively Self-Employed: How Writers and Artists Deal with Career Ups and Downs" by Kristen Fischer

Thursday, September 18, 2008

I tend to think that most blog posts are recycled content--as in, even if it's written by someone new, the ideas are the same. (Heck my blog is a lot of sharing of others' work and not a lot of original content!) But not Susan Johnston's recent post, 6 Ways to Liven Up Your Copy.

She gives some really great tips on livening up copywriting, which I definitely need to keep my creativity on the fresh side.

Her tips include:

1. Parallelism. A popular rhetorical device that dates back to ancient China and Greece. Remember the old phrase, "Veni, vidi, vici"? Translation: "I came, I saw, I conquered." More recently, JFK immortalized the phrase “ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country.” I incorporated parallelism into a tagline for a postcard I wrote: "Good copy gets your point across... Great copy gets results."

2. Juxtaposition. Try combining opposite elements. For instance, there's a documentary about Walmart whose tagline is "the high cost of low price." Schlotzky's Deli has the tagline "Funny name. Serious sandwich." Target's slogan is along same lines: "Expect More. Pay Less." When writing taglines, headlines, or body copy, you could juxtapose things that are light and dark, big and small, new and old, and so on.

Read more from Susan's article here.


link | posted by Kristen at 8:33 AM |


Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

1 Comments:

Blogger Susan Johnston Taylor commented at 5:18 AM~  

Thanks, Kristen! Glad you enjoyed that post.

Want to Post a Comment?