>


Blog to support the book "Creatively Self-Employed: How Writers and Artists Deal with Career Ups and Downs" by Kristen Fischer

Monday, December 10, 2007

One of the things I've been thinking about lately is whether or not what I do for a living matters. I realize copywriting isn't necessariily a helping career. I know that I could probably go volunteer to get that sense of worth out of helping someone. But my career is more of a life dream than just a job, so I want it to help people. I want it to mean something.

Sometimes as a freelancer, it's easy to get introspective. It may be because I have more time to think with the slowdown in my work from the holidays. Maybe it's me assessing where I want my business to go. I'm not sure. But I am feeling vulnerable today. Wondering if any of this makes a difference. I guess the useful blogger would give you tips on how to cope with this sort of thing. I'm just being real. I guess that's half the appeal of my CSE "movement." It's real. It's about emotion. (And boy I've got plenty of those!)

I think it's inevitable that creatives will feel this way sooner or later. Especially when you get your business more established, you kind of have a moment to think. I think "Wow, I made it happen. Now what?"

I'm working on the now what. I know that I want to discover more meaning in my career. And in my life overall. I guess that's what the end of the year is there for.

What does your career mean?


link | posted by Kristen at 1:52 PM |


Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

2 Comments:

Blogger The Punching Bag commented at 2:48 PM~  

Don't have a career, just a job so far from what I really want to do. Draw!

I haven't created any work for over 2 years, and with my present situation, don't know if I'll ever get back into it.

Blogger Swirly commented at 9:12 AM~  

This is such a great topic...something I think should be discussed a lot more. I struggle with this question quite often, and I always come back to the same thing. Regardless of what you do, I believe that if you love what you do that is what matters most. The act of following your passion is what inspires people and what makes a difference. I think the work you do is tremendously inspiring, because it is so obvious to me that you feel passionate about what you do.

Want to Post a Comment?