>


Blog to support the book "Creatively Self-Employed: How Writers and Artists Deal with Career Ups and Downs" by Kristen Fischer

Thursday, September 20, 2007



It's funny how many freelancers try hard to get clients. But on the opposite side of that topic is getting rid of clients. Truthfully, many freelancers don't think of that--but it can be a struggle to say no...to cut ties.

I like what Linda Formichelli has to say on her blog about giving clients the boot. Sometimes danging or toxic clients can really way you down professionally and emotionally. (I, too, recently wrote about dumping a client over at FreelanceSwitch.com.)

It's weird because in the beginning of my career I tried so hard to get work; now I'm trying to figure out what I want from my career. My standards--and my prices--have gotten higher.

There's nothing wrong with this.

And certainly nothing wrong with thinking about doing some client house-cleaning, either.

I'm just saying all this to shed light on a lesser-known topic affecting the self-employed/freelancers: It's okay to think about cutting a client loose. Even if you haven't been freelancing a long time, it's okay to say no.

Like so many things in this self-employed life--bad clients, crummy assignments, tense relations--it's okay to cut them off. Politely, of course.:)


link | posted by Kristen at 12:23 PM |


Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

0 Comments:

Want to Post a Comment?